Pages

Friday, 17 April 2015

Breast Intentions

I’ve read a few pieces recently regarding Breastfeeding, where writers are advising mothers that they “shouldn’t feel pressured in to Breastfeeding”

Well state the obvious why don’t you!! No woman should be pressured in to anything. They should however be given a choice, and the respect to fulfil that choice regardless of what it is. 

It seems that overnight Breastfeeding mothers have been  villainized as a possy of judgmental, lactating bully’s who like to sneer and look down on those who don’t Breastfeed.

Believe me, this is not the case. Most of us just want to feed our children in the way we’ve chosen, just like formula mums. We too feel pressured, pressured NOT to Breastfeed, through questions such as “are you still doing THAT?” And statements such as “you mustn’t be making enough milk , you should top him up with formula!” 

I’m sure formula feeding mums find questions and judgments about their choices just as irritating.

When did it become a war? Breastfeeding V None Breastfeeding?

Aren’t we all pro choice? Does it matter how one person feeds their child compared to another? Believe me, when I was Breastfeeding I was far too busy ensuring my nipples weren’t showing (heaven forbid) as I fed my child in public, or trying to ram a sandwich in my mouth with a latched on baby, to be bothered to notice how the baby on the next table was being fed, let alone to have the energy to give a lecture about feeding methods! 

The point I’m trying to make is do what’s right for you and your child! Who cares what other people think! Is your child loved? Cared for? Protected? Clean? Kept warm? Fed? If the answer is yes, then great! You’re doing an awesome job! 

There is no war. There is no competition. There is no “us and them”. We are all mums and we do what’s right for our babies and for ourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment