Pages

Monday, 14 September 2015

Screw You Scooby Doo

say stupid things to my kid.
I can't help it. 
Some people would frown upon it and say that I am lying, or filling his head with nonsense. Some people would laugh & say I'm igniting his imagination.
Walking through long grass I will often say things such as 'watch out for that crocodile over there'
And we like to go on long walks through Jurassic Park (The woods) looking for dinosaurs whilst I play a youtube video of different dinosaur noises on my mobile phone, safely hidden in my pocket.

Someone on our street just happens to have a camper van with a striking resemblance to the Scooby Doo Mystery Machine. And one day I casually mentioned that Scooby Doo must be staying on our street in order to solve a mystery. Of course, being 4 and completely gullible my son believed every word and commented on the Mystery Machine on our street every day, asking where Scooby Doo was and what he was doing.

So imagine my delight when we visited a fair being held nearby and I saw somebody in a full on Scooby Doo costume. It completely fit in with the tale I'd spun! 

My son sat on my shoulders as Scooby Doo pranced about the stage to the theme song, and listened to me gasp that this must be the reason he'd been staying on our street! He was making a special appearance at the fair! Oliver was so excited to see one of his heroes that when Scooby had finished his performance and waltzed off the stage, he ran towards him, desperate to tell him that he had parked his Mystery Machine right outside our house, and he'd been watching it for him.

But then something dreadful happened. 
I can still see it now playing in slow motion in my mind, like a sick dream.
Just as Oliver was approaching Scooby Doo, the man behind the mask reached up towards his head. I saw Oliver stop, and look up in bewilderment as Scooby Doo literally ripped his own head off, to reveal a measley, semi shaven, perspiring man underneath, who looked at him and grunted.
Grunted.
He actually grunted.
If I hadn't already seen the world crumble in my 4 year olds eyes (and if they didn't have the police there, doing tours for the kids round their vans) I would have grabbed him round his scraggy little neck and throttled him. I quickly dragged Oliver away and tried to distract him with a donkey that had just trundled past us, but I could still see him straining his neck to try and make some sense out of what had just happened.

The whole way home we didn't speak about Scooby Doo. It was too raw. I couldn't find the right words. We walked down our street and passed the Mystery Machine without a glance. 

Days passed. 
His Scooby Doo figures lay in the toy box, untouched. 

One day we took a walk out to the park, and passed the Mystery Machine. 
"I wonder if they ever caught that Villain, Oliver?"
*Glance*
"I'm guessing Scooby Doo is still here because he's trying to catch the man who was pretending to be him at the fair"
*Glance*
"Maybe if we see Scooby we can tell him what the man looked like, to help catch him"
*Smile*
I'm not sure if he believed me. He probably saw my words for exactly what they were. A desperate attempt to win back some of his imagination. To claw back some grains of his innocence and childhood.

It isn't the end of the world when your children realise that some things aren't real. Dinosaurs don't really exist in the woods, Mummy isn't really a Dinosaur Hunter, and kisses don't actually have magical healing powers. But 4 is too young! He still has sleepless Christmas Eves to look forward to, listening for sleigh bells, and wondering how Santa manages to get round the whole world in one night. 
Believing in these things is magical. He has the rest of his life to know the truth about the world. 
Now is not the time. 
Image taken from http://picturesforcoloring.com/2012/03/scooby-doo-coloring-pages/
Mummascribbles

6 comments:

  1. Oh no. That is awful! Poor Oliver.

    Not quite the same but I used to work as a kids rep and I once took the kids on a nature walk. We stopped at a river and saw some ducklings and a seagull flew down and landed in the water. I made a comment about "Uncle Seagull" coming to make sure the ducklings were okay when the seagull attacked the nearest and took it's head off then flew away with the body. It was awful and I didn't know what to say. I think I ended up pointing away and saying "look, a squirrel!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhhh the trusty old 'look! There's an animal!'
      In your case a squirrel, in mine a donkey ! Haaha

      Delete
  2. Oh no. That is awful! Poor Oliver.

    Not quite the same but I used to work as a kids rep and I once took the kids on a nature walk. We stopped at a river and saw some ducklings and a seagull flew down and landed in the water. I made a comment about "Uncle Seagull" coming to make sure the ducklings were okay when the seagull attacked the nearest and took it's head off then flew away with the body. It was awful and I didn't know what to say. I think I ended up pointing away and saying "look, a squirrel!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im all for encouraging kids to use their imaginations and believe in thinga for as long as possible #TwinklyTueaday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww... poor Oliver. I too takes my boy in the deep dark wood to find the Gruffalo and looks for the sizzling snake home. Look above for owls and listen to it's owling. I love being imaginative with kids. I hope Oliver is coping okay. x #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaaah I TOTALLY think that imaginations should be fed and nurtured for as long as possible. I mean — in my head — fairies *might* still exist. After all, there's no smoke without fire is there? ;) Thanks so much for linking up with us xx #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete