Pages

Tuesday, 6 October 2015

Things That Go Bump In The Night

I LOVE Halloween, and so does Oliver (because he's creepy). I love the atmosphere, the spooky films, and the history. Some of my most fun nights as a kid were on Halloween where we would dress up, watch scary films, stuff our faces with sweets and scare the living crap out of each other with ghost stories. Most of them were made up, or Urban Myths, but the story I'm about to tell you is all very true. 
If you spook easily I suggest you stop reading. 

Are you ready?

Then I shall begin.

(Ooh I'm giving MYSELF chills even! Ahem......I shall begin)

Over a period of a few months my family experienced haunting episodes, which commenced shortly after Oliver was born. It was small things at first. His Moses basket would rock on it's stand for no apparent reason. There were no drafts, he was motionless whilst he slept, and there was nothing physically rocking it. 
Lights would switch themselves on and off, doors would open and shut on their own and items would go missing. 
They were noticeable things but not creepy enough to actually be scary, and shortly after these occurrences began, we moved house. 

This was when the horrors truly began. 

(Note-This isn't actually our house..but..you know..it's a halloween post!)

We moved in February. It was dark, cold and wet. One night in particular it was raining heavily and the sound of the pelting water droplets echoed around the house. (Have I set the spooky scenario up well enough?)
Oliver was now sleeping in his own bedroom and in the middle of the night he started crying. I rolled over, glanced at the monitor and dropped one leg out of bed. As I proceeded to pull myself up I heard his Dads voice over the monitor, "shhhhhhh, it's ok, shhhhhhhh' 
A great sense of relief took over me and I closed my eyes as I listened to my son being soothed by his Daddy. I rolled over to get more comfortable and it was at this point that my leg brushed against a solid object in the bed. I quickly opened my eyes and and saw Oliver's Daddy laid next to me.
I jolted up.
The crying had stopped but I could still hear a male voice soothing and whispering to my son in the other room, and the lights on the monitor were flashing to indicate the presence of sound.
I ran in to his bedroom. Empty.
Oliver was sleeping soundly. I searched the whole house. It was undisturbed.
A few nights after, I was woken through the night by Oliver's Dad. He was sat up in bed and said he could hear something moving about in Oliver's room. When I listened it sounded like a marble, or some sort of ball rolling around on the floor. I snuck in, (note that it's always me who has to investigate!) and the noise stopped. Oliver was asleep & there was nothing to be seen that could have been causing the sound. 
A few months later Oliver began having night terrors. Each time, I would hear his voice calling me from up the stairs, "Mummmmy! Mummmmmy!" (Think of the creepiest way a child can shout Mummy and you've got it). I would climb the stairs and enter his bedroom to find him standing behind his bedroom door, mirroring the end scene from The Blair Witch Project. When he turned he would look straight through me and start screaming. Once he actually physically attacked me. One night when I responded to the same eery shouts of mummy I went up (I was tempted to take a weapon, I'm not going to lie!) and found him sat up in bed, in more of an exorcist position this time rather than the usual Blair Witch stance behind the door. He was pointing at something in the corner of the room, his hand trembling. His head twisted round to look at me and he whispered "there's a man here."
That was the last straw. I bolted out the room, clawing at the wall in the landing to switch the light on. Flick. Nothing. Flick, Flick, Flick. Nothing. What an obvious time for the bulb to go. I was convinced I was trapped in a horror movie.
I tried to pull myself together. I'm a mum now! I'm supposed to be brave! But I could feel this mans presence that my son spoke of, his eyes boring in to the back of my head! Oh my god! What was that? I was sure I just heard a heavy footstep coming towards me! I bet this man has a wide bloody smile, and an axe in his hand! 
Or even worse, it's not a man at all! It's a clown! Oh shit! There's a clown staring at me from the corner of the room! Flick. Flick. Flick. Stupid light!
Right. Calm down! There's no man, there's no clown. It's just Oliver having a night terror. 
I peered round Oliver's door to see what the possessed little demon was doing now, expecting him to be crawling round the ceiling or telling me my mother sucks **** in hell.
He was sleeping peacefully. 
I breathed. 
And made my way back down the stairs in the dark. 
The next day that landing light came on no problems. The bulb didn't need changing & the fuse hadn't gone. There's no explanation as to why it didn't work, leaving me to be almost murdered by a Man/Clown in the middle of the night. 

There have been no more occurrences since that night. 
Although Halloween is fast approaching. And you never know what's lurking in the dark 

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com
Friday Frolics

4 comments:

  1. Funny and terrifying. You are a genius! Thanks for linking up to #FridayFrolics

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just did a little shudder. My eldest had night terrors. It is literally like watching a horror film. I kept expecting her head to suddenly rotate round on her shoulders and for her to projectile vomit green stuff at me. I think I would have had to move in at my mums or something! #fridayfrolics

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right ,,,so ..Arghhhhhhhhhhh !!! I've just had to check all the cupboards and double lock my front door, Please tell me you are just a really talented story teller and none of this is true?!! Creeeeepy but very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant. I'm so glad I'm not alone in the house tonight (though already the rational killjoy part of my mind is explaining it all away).

    ReplyDelete