Pages

Wednesday, 30 December 2015

A New Years Promise To My Child


At 12am on Thursday night there will be people all over the world seeing the New Year in and making promises to themselves to give something up, change something or achieve something.
But this year I won't be making a New Years resolution for myself. Instead I'll be making a promise. 
To you. My son. 
I'm going to promise to try. 

I'm going to try to be more patient. You're four. You're learning. And you need patience. 
I'm going to try not to bother about what others think. Who cares what they think? It only matters what we think. You and me.
I'm going to try to take more time. More time to play. More time to soak up your infectious laugh. More time to just be with you.
I'm going to try not to make my problems your problems. You're my child. Let me solve all your problems and leave mine at the door. To be picked up again when you're sleeping.
I'm going to try to listen. Listen to your every word. Because you have so much to say, and I want to hear everything. I don't want to miss anything. 
I'm going to try not to compare you with others. Why would I? You're unique. You're special. Nobody can be compared with you. Not to me. 
I'm going to try not to worry. I don't need to worry about you. You've proved this to me time and time again.
I'm going to try to cherish every memory. Because every day you grow, you change, and you need me less. Every single minute is more precious to me than you could ever imagine.
I'm going to try never to put you down. You are perfect with all your imperfections. And I love you unconditionally.
I'm going to try to laugh more. Because you are the funniest person I know. And I'm at my happiest when I'm laughing with you.

I can't promise that I will do all these things without fault. Some days I will succeed. Some days I will fall flat on my face and will rely on your smile, and your smile only to pick me back up. 

But I will never fail to try. 
And that is my promise to you.
My precious little boy.

Here's to another year of wonderful memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment